Defiance County

The History of the GAR in Defiance County

1879, Comrade Cecil A. Hall, special mustering officer, accompanied by Henry S. Bunker, Assistant Adjutant General of the Department of the Ohio Grand Army of the Republic, came to Defiance, and the following comrades were mustered into the Grand Army of the Republic, to wit: William E. Carpenter, L. W. Richardson, Albert W. King, George Hooker, Frank C. Culley, George W. Killey, W. S. Hoffard, Solomon Deamer, A. B. Woodruff, William H, Ralston, John E. Richardson, Franklin Duck, George Olinger, B. B. Woodcox, Luther H. Robinson, Cenry Kuhl, B. F. Southworth, Robert Cary, Frederick Conrad, George T. Squires, William Andrews, W. S. McClary, all of whom thereby became the charter members of Bishop Post, No. 22, of Defiance Department of Ohio Grand Army of the Republic. Immediately after being mustered into the order, they proceeded to the elec. tion of officers, and the following were the officers duly elected, appointed and installed in their respective offrces for the remainder of the year of 1879:

Commander of Post, William E. Carpenter; Senior Vice Commander, B. F. Southworth; Junior Vice Commander, George T. Squires; Surgeon, William Ralston, M. D. ; Chaplain, Luther H. Roberson; Quartermaster, A. W. King; Adjutant, Frank C. Culley; Officer of the Day, Henry Kuhl; Offrcer of the Guard, B. B. .Woodcox; Sergeant Major, George Hooker.

At the annual election held at the close of this year, the following were elected, appointed and properly installed as the officers of this Post for the year of 1880:

Commander of Post, William E. Carpenter; Senior Vice Commander, A, B, Woodruff; Junior Vice Commander, John Widmer; Senior Surgeon of Post, William C. Ralston, M, D. ; Chaplain, Luther H. Roberson; Quartermaster, A. W. King; Adjutant, George Hooker; Officer of the Day, Henry Kuhl; Officer of the Guard, Solomon Deamer; Sergeant Major, S. O. Foot; Quartermaster Sergeant, L. W. Richardson. M. B. Stevens, M. D., and John Richolt were selected this year on the staff of the Department Commander D. W. Thomas, of Akron, Ohio, the former as Aide-de-Camp and the latter as Assistant Inspector. George W. Killey, of this Post, was elected a member of the Council of Administration at the department encampment held at Cleveland, Ohio, in that year. In this year the Post lost one member by death--Comrade Thomas B, Wade, who departed from earth to join the grand army above. During the year, large accessions were made to the order, and at the close of this year (1880) the Post then numbered seventy-two members in good standing in the order.

At the next annual election held in December, 1880, the following comrades were elected, appointed and properly installed as officers of this Post for the year 1881, and were installed in their respective offices by George W. Killey„ special mustering officer:

Commander of Post, A. B. Woodruff; Senior Vice Commander, Franklin Duck; Junior Vice Commander, Henry Kuhl; Surgeon, M. B. Stevens, M. D.; Chaplain, Luther H. Robinson; Quartermaster, A. W. King; Adjutant, George Hooker; Officer of the Day, Solomon Deamer; Officer of the Guard, Werner Wrede; Sergeant Major, Baxter Davis; Quartermaster Sergeant, L. W. Richardson. Comrades Frank C. Culley and John Richolt were appointed this year upon the staff of John S. Kountz, Department Commander, the former as Aide-de-Camp and the latter as Assistant Inspector. Comrade William E. Carpenter of this Post was appointed Assistant Quartermaster General of the Department of Ohio, for the year of 1881. This Post was named after Capt. William Bishop, Company D, One Hundredth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, who was mortally wounded in battle at Pumpkin Vine Creek, Ga., May 28, 1864, and died June 15, 1864. He proved himself a brave and efficient officer, and was much esteemed by all that knew him. He was formerly a resident of Defiance, Ohio.

(Back to Military Page)

| Contact Us | Mission | History | Webmaster: Contact: dhasch@defnet.com | ©2011 Defiance County Chapter of OGS